From its inception A.com was synonymous with FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION and FREEDOM OF SPEECH. It was because of this that PSEUDONYMS or NOM DE PLUME or ALIASES were allowed, so all users/bloggers will be comfortable in voicing out their respective opinions on ANYTHING UNDER THE SUN, especially on Abra POLITICS. This was the trademark of A.com then and it’s still its reigning distinctive feature, compared to any and all active Abrenian groups or sites, now. At times discussions seem to get boring or seem low class or no taste at all, bordering to sheer gutter talks or child talks, but this site is not ONLY reserved for intellectuals, it serves as a living forum too for any and all issues that is available to anybody, willing to draw water from the well of information in order to quench their thirst, at any day and time they so desire.
A.com is for ALL Abrenians and even non-Abrenians who wish Abra well, from all walks of life, regardless of age. A.com is the sanctuary of those who are not comfortable redressing their grievances against the government using their real identities for fear of retribution to them personally or to their immediate/extended family members. It is also the sanctuary of all those who are in the government service, who can no longer stomach what is going on in their units, yet afraid to lose their respective jobs if they blow the whistle openly, to public servants (executive, legislative, or judicial) who care but afraid to become a pariah if they expose the stinky activities within their turf, or even to remorseful wrongdoers who want to attain redemption but just don’t want the shame attached to his clan or family name when doing such in their own names. Yes, this site serves as the Comfort Zone for all those who want to freely express themselves, without being afraid of the consequences, as compared to what could happen to them IF they had done it in Bangued Plaza on top of a San Miguel Beer wooden case, or picketing in the sidewalk in front of LGU offices, or even ABRECO, or any traditional grounds for freely voicing out one’s opinion.
This is the place where you can speak your mind, hoping that somehow, concerned officials, public figures, high profile individuals, or even ordinary individuals mentioned in news articles or reliable reports, will listen and perhaps act with the best interests of the common Abrenios or majority of all Abrenios in their hearts and minds. I’d like to believe that we come here, say something, discuss issues, engage in heated debates not because we love listening to ourselves but with a higher and noble purpose and that is for the betterment of our beloved province of Abra.
Recently however, A.com has been referred to as a place where trash talks abound, where bloggers had nothing better to do but curse each other, where political surrogates come and sell their wares whether they themselves believe those or not, where the substance of what are being discussed are so low one could puke just reading the first salvo. We have to change this if we want to be useful. We have to change this if we want our voices count. We have to shift our attention to ISSUES and not on the PERSONALITIES of the bloggers.
I agreed to be a CO-ADMINISTRATOR and promised to help Eric/SysOp to make this site user friendly and a place where mature people can converge and discuss with civility and sportsmanship. Along this line, I made some COMMON SENSE ground rules that we can build on as we proceed. Let me be clear, the list is not exhaustive, you will see a revision, amendment, addition, subtraction as we go on. They are not absolute either, exceptions will be encountered as we move forward. One thing is certain, they are here to GUIDE us engage in MEANINGFUL and TEMPERED discussions. They are not pre-censorship as most rules are being done in most cybersites. They are not new in cyberspace. These are culled from the rules I observed from blogspots that I’ve been involved with plus again, common sense. Here are the starters:
1. Public Officials and Public Figures, past or present may be a subject of your entries/comments without using any FOUL WORDS in any dialect or language;
2. If you claim your entry as FACTS, please state your basis. If OPINIONS, then please say so;
3. In your blog exchange with fellow users, STICK with the issues, NO PERSONAL attacks will be tolerated, pound on the issues and not on each other, the later is very counterproductive;
4. Aliases are ALLOWED based on what I mentioned above, ANYBODY who attempts to unmask any blogger, WILL BE BANNED to use this site. Users use ALIASES so they will be free to speak their minds, if anyone negates that and stifle his/her voice, that user has no place here;
5. Please refrain from using ALL CAPS, unless you are emphasizing a point. In cyberspace the use of all caps is being read as SHOUTING, ANGER, DOMINATING, we can not drive a point through it but only court negative responses;
6. Please use ONE USER NAME per ONE USER EMAIL ADDRESS. If you will not then we will choose the user name for you;
7. ABUSIVE bloggers will be warned ONCE or NONE at all, depending on the gravity of the entry. A.com ALWAYS reserve the right to reject users, posts, or comments; and
8. If you have any constructive suggestions or anything that you want to bring to our attention you can email such to SysOp@Abrenian.com or to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
My sincere gratitude for your time in reading this! VIVA ABRA!!!